Left AA after years of sobriety

Home Forums Community Left AA after years of sobriety

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  massive 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

movingon
    Participant

I had left AA before but I went back with a friend and got caught up in it again. I finally got to point again where I was leaving AA meetings worse than when I got there followed by the feeling lingering for days at times.

I recalled that the last I got to this point, I left AA and did not go to a meeting for almost a year and during that time I did feel better and I did not drink.

I am a little afraid but at the same time, I am okay with my decision to leave again.

massive
    Keymaster

hi – why did you leave before?

why did you go back…

then what happened recently…

Follow your instincts….listen to your heart.

movingon
    Participant

I left before after I lost some family and I talked about it in AA meetings, I got like 2-3 phone calls out of hundreds of numbers in my phone. I’d been active in AA for years and always picking up the phone or helping people. I saw the matter of AA where it’s not a reciprocal situation unless you’re not so anonymous and AA celebrity so to speak.

I went back after a friend asked me to watch them get a chip.

Recently, it was more about finding it harder and harder to; fit in, agree with lots of things being said, and noticing I’ve changed but lots of people I’ve gotten to know are still the same. I also realized how AA is about control, conformity and coercion (in effect it’s a religion) and less about helping people with drinking issues or addiction. I began to see that AA was more a social club than a resource to get sober for lots of people too.

marc
    Participant

I have left AA for about 8 months. The social atmosphere was what attracted me to AA. I thought that I should only associate with people that had drug and alcohol issues. I was totally wrong. I only keep in contact with a couple people from AA. I had many “friends” in the program. I have them on Facebook. woo hoo I got 5 years. Life is not about counting days of sobriety it’s about living and enjoying yourself. I am done with that program thank god!!

movingon
    Participant

Marc, I agree with you about the social aspect. I hope to have the same thing again outside of AA.

Congrats on 5 years! I only had one person that I kept in contact with from AA, they were cool and understood not everything in AA is everyone.

I do feel better and better about my decision to leave, it’s been about 3 weeks now and I am getting less and less anxious.

massive
    Keymaster

thanks- I see… sad isnt it. I helped alot of women for hours on the phone. The ones I sponsored. They didn’t call me back after I left AA in 2011. They take – take – take They are really selfish people.Self absorbed too.
    Im glad you know better now. I hate AA. I hate new age religion too, Its such BS… I think Ram Dass Was a stepper…..LOL HAHAHAH

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.